Gay Family

Get the Respect and Comfort You Deserve


As a gay mortgage agent, I know what it’s like to be disrespected or treated differently simply because of your sexual orientation. No person should ever have to face discrimination or homophobia when buying or refinancing a home. But sadly, it does happen.

When you work with me, this is something you will never have to worry about.

I treat each and every client with the utmost respect and will work diligently on your behalf to help make your mortgage process streamlined and exciting so you can get the financing you need.

Why Work With Shannon?


When you work with me you can expect:

  • Respect of your time, situation, and identity

  • Communication in the most comfortable way for you – video, phone, etc.

  • Best rates and terms for your mortgage or business loan

  • Proud member of the Gay Realty Network

  • LGBTQ+ industry connections – ask me for a referral

A little bit more about me...


I met my partner Fiona while living in Toronto and we’ve been together for nearly 7 years now. Over the years, we’ve formed a number of trusted connections and networks, and have always felt compelled to support other members within our community. As a gay mortgage agent in Ontario, I’m here to provide the support and guidance you’re looking for.


Get A Mortgage In Your PJ's!


When you're busy running your own show, you rarely have enough time for yourself, nevermind for your finances. Our 100% digital brokerage makes it convenient and easier than ever to get a mortgage completely online, anytime, anywhere!


Get A Mortgage In Your PJ's!


We make it super easy and convenient to get a mortgage. Loan Desk - CLC is 100% digital so you can get a mortgage funded right from the comfort of your own home!

Fast Pre-Approval 

All it takes is 10 minutes or less online to find out how much you can qualify for today. 

Smart Apps

Our easy to use document portal allows you to upload and access documents in seconds and chat with us directly. 

Convenient Process

Get simple, clear instructions and updates at every stage of the mortgage process.

Frequently asked questions

What are my rights as an LGBTQAI+ common law couple?

Under Ontario law same sex couples are treated the same as opposite-sex couples. Common law couples must meet the basic requirement of living together in a conjugal relationship for at least three years before the legal rights will apply. If the couple has not reached the three-year requirement, it’s important to talk to a lawyer about drafting a cohabitation agreement when purchasing property.

Can I enter into a mortgage as a common law partnership?

Yes absolutely. In relation to the mortgage, common law partnerships are treated like a marriage, where a credit report is pulled individually for both people and they are qualified based on credit worthiness, debt to income ratios and a number of other factors.

Do I need a Lawyer?

Yes! You will need a lawyer to close a mortgage, but you should also contact a lawyer to discuss your property rights. A lawyer can explain the appropriate laws to you and the difference between entering into an agreement as a married couple, common law couple or as individuals.

A lawyer will also ensure that your rights are fully protected throughout the home buying, selling or refinance process. Plus, they can also draft up a Cohabitation Agreement if you have not yet established a common law relationship or a Domestic Partnership Agreement that establishes your property rights if you are not entering into a joint ownership agreement.

Should I enter into a Joint Ownership or Tenants in Common agreement?

Always consult with a lawyer when deciding on the type of ownership arrangement that is best for you.

With a joint tenancy, two or more people have equal ownership of the property. The agreement is broken if any of the members wish to sell their interest. If the relationship ends, the owners can either sell the property or one person can buy the other out and qualify for a new mortgage. A joint tenancy also has a Right of Survivorship where if one of the owners become deceased, the rights of the property automatically pass on to the surviving owner or owners. Married couples are automatically entered into this type of agreement but common law couples have to make the decision of whether to enter into a joint ownership, tenants in common agreement or have only one person registered on title.

With tenants in common, the property can be owned by two or more people who have equal or unequal shares in the property. Upon death, the interest of the deceased co-tenant passes to the tenants estate or whoever is designated as their beneficiary in the Will. The beneficiary does not need to be a co-tenant on title. Members can also change without breaking the original agreement. At any time they can sell or borrow against their own portion, one or more owners can also buy another out, but they must come to a joint agreement to move forward.

When is it best to have one person on the mortgage?

In certain cases, depending on the financial health of the individuals and the strength of your relationship, it might make the most sense for only one person to be on title, as opposed to owning the property jointly. A good example of this is that if your partner has a high debt load, unprovable income, or a recent bankruptcy that could impact your chances of qualifying.

What happens to the property upon a breakdown of a legal marriage?

The property is not automatically divided in half as some would assume. Instead, it is the value of all the property you and your spouse jointly own minus the value of all property owned by each person separately on the date of marriage, which is divided.

If you sell the house, you can use the equity to pay off joint debts and divide the rest as per your separation agreement. If one party decides to keep it, they will need to qualify to support the mortgage on their own. They can then either refinance and buy out the other partner or simply obtain a release.

Please note that laws can change at any time, so always consult with your lawyer on property rights.

What happens to the property upon a breakdown of a common law relationship?

Common law couples are not entitled to the equalization of their family property. Each partner in a common law relationship is entitled only to whatever they each brought into the relationship or acquired. This means that the home belongs to the person who purchased it and each person is responsible for their own debts. If both partners names are on the mortgage document the bank will pursue both.

Please note that laws can change at any time, so always consult with your lawyer on property rights.

Can Alimony, Child Support and Child Tax Benefits be used as income for the mortgage?

In the vast majority of cases these amounts can be used. Let us know if you receive any of the above payments during the application process. Even if you don’t have a divorce or separation agreement, there are other ways to prove this amount.

Is My Bank Representative not a mortgage agent? What does a mortgage agent do?

There are a few distinctions between the bank representative offering a mortgage and a mortgage agent. The first is that the bank rep works for that particular banking institution and can only offer you the products available to them. This means that if you have bank at RBC, but Scotia has a better product for you at a lower rate, your bank rep won’t have access to it.

A mortgage agent, on the other hand, has access to a wide range of mortgage products. This is because a mortgage agent works independently for their client, not for any particular lending institution. They have access to a wide range of lenders and products including Canada’s leading banks, mortgage finance institutions, credit unions, alternative and private lenders. Ontario mortgage agents are also licensed by the Financial Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) and held to certain fiduciary regulations. This means that a mortgage agent is always working in YOUR best interests to find you a lender and product that is right for YOUR needs today and well into the future.

How much does it cost to work with a mortgage agent?

In residential real estate, mortgage agents are paid when a mortgage gets funded. In the vast majority of cases, we are paid directly by the lender once the transaction closes in the same way they would pay their own internal agent team. Where a fee might be charged to the client is on complex alternative or private deals. As part of our judiciary requirements, we are required to disclose any fees to you upfront. This ensures you know exactly what to expect in relation to transaction fees before you make any decisions.

Do you only arrange mortgages?

I am only licensed to deal in mortgages in the province of Ontario, however, I work with lenders who offer business loans, equipment financing, renovation loans, consumer loans, and insurance products and can help facilitate these types of transactions for you. I also have agent connections who are licensed to work in other provinces.